Sunday, February 6, 2011

Gong Xi Fa Cai 2011!

The brief was simple - cake covered in buttercream and decorated in buttercream for Chinese New Year but... I have been so used to working with fondant that all the ideas that popped into my head were "fondant-ideas"!

Googled around for CNY images to get inspiration - shortlisted some that could be done using buttercream but still not satisfied. I wanted something special, something different...

Then, on Chinese New Year eve itself (the day the cakes were due), I got inspired by some pretty ang pow packets and decided to recreate the peony flower using a method usually done using royal icing on a fondant cake - brush embroidery!

And's here's the result!




Can anyone guess which ang pow packet I referred to for this flower design? Drop me a line and the first person to guess correctly gets a 25-pc box of cupcakes!


This cherry blossom design was inspired by a pretty picture I saw on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment